Mentor: Tim Van Cleave, Engineer at SPS Commerce
Team members: Amy Ghotra, Smilte Valasinaite, Zarrin Ali
As a photographer one of the most important things you can do is share your work to build a reputation for yourself, but often it's not as easy to get well-organized feedback about your work from others. If you want to improve your art, either as a professional or just a casual enthusiast, it's extremely important to get your work in front of others so you can keep improving.
This project aims to solve this problem by creating a site where photographers can upload their portfolio and then have fellow photographers leave comments about things that can be improved, things they like, etc.
Key user requirements are:
* Users can upload their own photos and display them in a clean, easy to view way.
* This includes the users display name, home city, etc.
* (optional) use the photo's EXIF data to display information about the camera, lens, and other settings interesting to a photographer. Location information would be super cool as well!
* Users can indicate that they want only some of their photos to be reviewed by others
* Users can leave comments on individual photos where a review is requested
This project will teach a variety of useful technical skills, including:
* Developing a clean, fast API using Django and Django Rest Framework
* Uploading photos to a cloud hosting service like S3
* Modern React web app development, including using component libraries and other tools to simplify development
* User-centered design throughout the project
* AGILE best practices (don't worry, just a light version!)
* Having fun while making something awesome!
Team Members' Prior Experience
CodeDay Labs advanced-track team